Attendees: Babu Panchal (BP), Hampton Ewart (HE), Joan Lugsden (JL), Ken Jones (KJ), Caroline Windsor (CW), Carol Bench (CB) Susan Fitzgerald (SF), Warwick Coulson (WC)
Note Taker: Chantae Owen (CO)
Apologies: None received
The group welcomed SF and members of the group introduced themselves and gave overview of their background.
- Minutes & Actions from last meeting: None noted.
- Matters Arising: None noted.
- Practice News:
SF asked the group at what level of information was required. HE asked for locality news, i.e. staffing issues, building and services changes and matters directly affecting Albany House practice patients. KJ asked for information and explanation from the practice on how major NHS/DoH health initiatives would affect local health provision.
SF discussed actions taken from a previous informal meeting with HE and JL. These included;
- All staff are now wearing badges. SF asked the group to continue to challenge and ask staff if badges were not present/visible.
- All health & safety marking has been redone on all internal steps where required.
- Cleaning audit complete and all furniture has been cleaned. Following the audit a deep clean of all carpets will now take place.
- Sweeping of external steps is being carried out daily and will continue to do so.
- Bookshelf previously highlighted as an eye sore has been removed.
- Notice Board – On going issue. SF to review in line with 6 month operational plan which will be shared in due course.
- SF asked for help in setting up a ‘wall of thanks’ SF to discuss ideas with JL. ACTION: SF to feedback at next meeting.
- Telephone information messages, manner and information were discussed, in particular staff giving out name and re-direction of patients i.e. 1-4 options. SF will be looking at this when reviewing renewal of current MSP (Telephone message provider) due in October 2016.
- JL gave example of a confused patient who turned up at the wrong practice (Albany House). Recommendation to have a list of contacts (for other local surgeries) so they can be called if one of their patients had attended Albany House by mistake. ACTION: CO to compile a list and place at main reception.
The group further discussed uniforms (corporate identity), Website usability and assistance the PPG could provide in the future. SF stated that this is all being considered when she is in the process of reviewing overall priorities.
SF asked the group for assistance around the practice obtaining the Bronze Award for Northamptonshire Carers Services. CB offered to discuss the matter with Wellingborough Care Association and will feed back with the possibility to a representative coming to the group in September to give a 10 minute talk on Carers and how the practice can support them. ACTION: CB to request meeting. JL also offered to look for poster in order to advertise help and assistance for carers. ACTION: JL to provide poster.
JL gave briefing following her meeting with N.A.P.P Conference held in June 2016. Key areas of discussion are on the website, and JL gave details on how this can be viewed, but will send out further details. ACTION: JL to send link and passwords. JL discussed at length the talk given by Dr Terry Kimball of the RCOGP. Particular interest around 5 key questions and steps on improving quality. JL currently locating paperwork and will send when received.
The group thanked JL for taking the time and effort to attend this important conference.
HE discussed updates from W.H.E.G. WC asked for feedback regarding introduction of Defibrillators across Wellingborough. HE confirmed that there are some about the town but these were not actively promoted. More work still needs to be done and will keep pursuing the issue. The practice had completed Sensory Impairment questionnaire. HE will forward to Nene CCG via WHEG
General discussion/question/answer led by WC re the future health needs and planning for Wellingborough with reference in particular to the future use of the Isebrooke site.
WC also brought members up to date with the 3sixty federation and it's development. Individual practices will retain their identity and their separate PPG groups.
WC again highlighted the problem of recruiting future GPs in Northamptonshire/East Midlands.
JL discussed recent QMC meeting. Talks were received from Veterans and the practice lead nurse. The appointment systems, reception staffing and electronic prescribing were discussed. JL further went on to discuss a list of free information, leaflets, posters etc. SF requested copy. ACTION: JL to send SF copy of information list.
JL discussed the survey that the RCGP have given to PPG and all agreed to give feedback to Joan. ACTION: All to give JL feedback.
BP queried opening hours, blood testing availability. WC explained that Saturday morning opening times were largely used for those patients who had multiple conditions and who required longer appointments to cater for this rather that have several separate appointments. It was agreed that opening hours and blood test times would be displayed in a prominent position, maybe in a permanent notice.
The group discussed information available throughout the surgery. It was agreed that there is too much information especially around the main entrance. ACTION: SF to review and feedback to the group.
PB asked about Saturday AM surgery opening times. WC went on to highlight that this is a pre booked session and was mainly for those patients with complex needs that required more time for appointment. BP also enquired about blood tests and if there was information on opening times. SF confirmed that there was.
- Meeting Close
Date & Time of next meeting: Monday 15th August 2016 at 10am